Thursday, August 15, 2013

And so it begins

So, this is blogging. Talk about running behind the trends. I remember blogging being “the thing to do” the year I got married (December of 2008). I’m not sure if I boycotted the whole notion because it was so popular or if I just never got around to it. I can’t remember exactly, but I would guess the latter. So, why now? The first four years of my married life were so busy. I worked full time, and, for much of it, I was simultaneously enrolled in full-time classes. My husband was playing professional baseball the first few years, and when he wasn’t in season he, too, was working and taking a full class load. I can’t say that life has necessarily slowed down, but it sure is different. My world shifted from “me” to “we” upon entering the realm of marriage. In July of last year, “we” experienced yet another paradigm shift to the world of “she.” “She” is the light of my life: Eliza Mae. Becoming a mother, and a stay-at-home mother at that, provides me with this newfound time and desire to take a step back and document my journey along the way. There is a myriad of varying reasons for this desire. In one respect, it’s all about Eliza. I can’t make time slow down as much as I wish to at times, so I might as well document it, right? The first year of motherhood has officially passed me by, and I’m kicking myself for not doing this sooner. I’m learning that children seem to accelerate the passing of time. I suppose what I really mean to say is, children provide a more noticeable gauge by which time is measured; and, not only that, time passed matters more. I’m sure the first years of my married life orbited just as quickly, but I sure do notice the difference in months, weeks, and even days with my little girl progressing before my eyes. Now, I suppose I need to regress a bit because I mentioned there were different reasons for my motivation to start blogging/ journaling/ or whatever this is. I almost got lost in writing about the first reason, my baby. The second reason is different because the reason is me. I miss writing. For me, writing is a way to process and understand my thoughts, and not just my thoughts, but me. I don’t often take the time to explore the sparks of meaningful notions that pop into my mind unless I sit and write them down. Now that I am constantly facilitating the life of the little person at my feet, time to just think is limited. Now I know why moms need “me time.” Writing is my “me time” because every so often it cultivates those sparks into a full fledged fire. When that happens, I read over what I wrote and think to myself, “that was in my brain?” I guess what I’m saying is, sometimes you just gotta give those little sparks some oxygen and a little room to grow and see where your thoughts take you. Anyway, that is my reasoning behind my late entrance on the blogging train. I kind of relish in the idea that while everyone else is spending more time on the newer media outlets of Instagram and whatever else becomes popular, I will be writing whatever I feel like to what I’m picturing as an empty audience.

Here we go.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog! I had a semi-secret blog I started in 2008 when Chad left on his mission just mostly to document that whole experience for me and him. Since we got married, I've taken like a two-year hiatus of not writing anything at all, and I miss it! Not so much the blogging world, but just writing. For myself. So I feel like I totally relate to this post. I'm excited you started one because my favorite blogs really aren't the fashion blogs that everyone seems to be all about these days...they are the ones with the best writers and I can already tell from this post that you are brilliant with your words. Snyder would be so proud :)Sorry for the paragraph-long comment! Love your cute family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anais! I don't know why I just saw this. I haven't written on here in a while. I told myself I would keep this up, and, of course, I am already slacking. Thank you for the encouragement! I totally read your blog, and I loved it because it reminded me of my feelings when Stets was on his mission. You and Chad are cute as ever.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that you are blogging! I really love reading the blogs of my friends and family. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete